Monday 28 March 2016

Caesar Conquers Doeberl

James Morris, aka Caesar, giving his victory speech at the Doeberl cup. Veni vidi vici? Not really, Caesar seemed a bit stunned himself. His play was solid with an artistic streak. The final position in his game against GM Hrant Melkumyan could be the basis of an endgame study. Also worth viewing is his game against Max Illingworth. The final position has that comedy noir factor going for it. If you don't know what I mean try finding a move for white.

For full results and games go the the official site.
 

Second on 7 points were our two visiting GM's, Anton Smirnov took 4th place and the best junior title for the second year running and Heather Richard the best female prize. 


The Major section was won by David Cannon with 6/7 followed in second and third by Churchie boys Jarryd Luis and Tony Zhong.


Mark stokes took gold for Queensland in the minor and was all grins.



As for yours truly, I finished with 6.5/9 in fifth place. Much better than I expected.
My last game was my best of the tournament against a traditionally difficult opponent for me. Today he just played a bad opening variation and I did not panic when short on time.



Thanks for reading, see you soon :D

No comments:

Post a Comment